Chilli Bean Soup with an Avocado Salsa

Chilli Bean Soup with an Avocado Salsa
Chilli Bean Soup with an Avocado Salsa
 photo DSCN3364_zpsqq0yz8op.jpg

I have to say that although I found the prospect of ever being able to eat anything delicious a little bit daunting at the first of my Diabetic journey . . .  a week later and I think I am finally beginning to understand things a bit better.  I am a long ways from an expert by all means . . .  but I've learned a lot.  I am looking forward to the class I am going to take at the hospital which will hopefully teach me a lot more.    I have also discovered that there is a wealth of information on the www that is very helpful and informative.

 photo DSCN3365_zpso63k3avi.jpg

This soup I am showing you today is adapted from a recipe I found on Diabetes UK.   (Great site by the way.  I highly recommend!)  I tinkered with it a bit, I admit, but not in any way which would compromise the integrity and diabetic values of the final outcome . . .

  photo DSCN3367_zpsgpee8adx.jpg

The soup itself is thick and very rich tasting.   I added some spices to it.  I can't help tweaking things here and there.  It's just me . . . I can never leave things alone.  The original recipe called for red chillies and I confess . . .  I am not fond of red chillies.  I find them far too hot and I just don't like them.  Instead I used a mild chili powder and some ancho chili paste, for a hint of smokiness.

  photo DSCN3366_zpslfushdyf.jpg

Of course cheese sprinkled over top would have gone down very well, but I opted to use the avocado salsa that came with the recipe and I was really glad I had.  This added texture, colour and a wonderful layer of extra flavours that we both really, REALLY enjoyed!  Not to mention some healthy fat.

 photo DSCN3368_zpsj1pf9e19.jpg

Diabetic or not, I really hope you will make this.  It is my new favourite soup and I know it is a recipe I will make often.   It's quick, easy and delicious!  And it uses (with the exception of the avocado) things that I have in my kitchen all the time.

 photo DSCN3369_zpsw25ypxdj.jpg


*Chilli Bean Soup*
with an avocado salsa
Serves 6
This soup is delicious. Adapted from a recipe I found on Diabetes UK.   It's rich and feels very indulgent, but is very low in calories, fat and sugar.  Do make the salsa. It adds an extra special touch! 

1 TBS rice bran oil (or other heart healthy oil)
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
2 cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mild chili powder
1/4 tsp ancho chili paste
(or to taste)
2 X (420g) tins of kidney beans, drained, rinsed and drained again (2 X 14 1/2 oz tins)
1 X (400g) tin of Chopped tomatoes in tomato juice, undrained (1 X 14 1/2 oz tin)
1.2 litre of vegetable stock (5 cups)
salt and black pepper to taste 

For the salsa:
1 ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
2 fresh ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped
4 TBS fresh coriander, chopped
1/2 small red onion,  peeled and finely chopped
1/2 tsp mild chili powder (or to taste)
salt and black pepper to taste


 photo DSCN3370_zpskh59uxh3.jpg

Heat the oil in a large saucepan.  Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat, until softened.   Add the garlic, cumin, cinnamon, chili powder and ancho chili paste.  Cook and stir for a minute.  Tip in the beans and tomatoes, along with the vegetable stock.  Bring to the boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cook lightly covered for 20 to 25 minutes.

 photo DSCN3372_zpscgjybkw8.jpg

For the salsa, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl.  Season to taste with salt and black pepper. 

Blitz the soup smooth with a hand held stick blender, or very carefully in a regular blender.  Reheat gently and season to taste with some salt and black pepper. 

Serve the hot soup ladled into heated bowls with a dollop of the salsa on top.  Crusty whole wheat bread, yes please!   (Just a tiny smidgen)

Calories: 161
Carbs: 14.1
Protein: 5.3
Fat: 6.9
Saturates: 1.5
Sugars: 5.3
3  portions of fruit and vegetables
Vegetarian





Advertisement

Blog Archive