Tomato Jam

Tomato Jam
Tomato Jam
 photo DSCN9044_zpsgfj17nrn.jpg

I had in mind to make some tomato jam with the tomatoes from my tomato plants, but it ended up that I would not have had enough fresh tomatoes to do it.  We have been far too greedy with eating them fresh and they have been so very good.  I had a real hunger for tomato jam however  . . . a real hunger . . . it sounded so tasty . . .

 photo DSCN9045_zpsfk7vi3kz.jpg

One ingredient I do have plenty of however is tinned tomatoes.  Lovely tinned Italian tomatoes, and so I decided to feed the hunger which could not be dampened and  I created a tomato jam using them.   I am no stranger to making jams and chutnies.  I have been making them for years.

 photo DSCN9046_zpsb13q9bgn.jpg

In fact, one of the things we learned to make when I was doing my chef's course, was chutney and I decided to apply some of the same principles, albeit with some different flavours, to this tomato jam, and   . . . I hasten to add, with EXCELLENT results!

 photo DSCN9047_zpsvkcvev2j.jpg

It turned out fabulous.  It is nice and thick . . . .  and sweet without being too sweet . . .  and just spiced right, with a tiny bit of a kick.  Ohhh . . .  just lovely.

 photo DSCN9047_zpsvkcvev2j.jpg

I was so very pleased  and so was Todd.  He is really enjoying it, with cold meats, cheeses, in sandwiches, with his potatoes, etc.  It's a real winner!  It doesn't make a lot, but it's nice to know that I can easily make it any time I want to, and that I won't have to rely on fresh tomatoes being in season either.

I hope you  will try it!   It's a lovely taste of tomato sunshine!

 photo DSCN9050_zpspphwfhed.jpg


*Tomato Jam*
Makes about  1/2 pint. (1 cup) 

Sweet and spicy and so good with cheese, cold meats and crackers. 

1 400g tin of chopped italian tomatoes in juice, undrained
1 TBS of  olive oil
a knob of ginger, the size of a small egg, peeled and finely grated
(about 1/4 cup)
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely grated
the juice of one lemon
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch cloves
75g soft light brown sugar  (1/3 cup packed)
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste 

Heat the oil in a saucepan.  Add the ginger and garlic.  Cook, stirring until quite fragrant.  Stir in the lemon juice.  Cook to reduce a bit, then add the tomatoes (undrained), cinnamon, cloves, cumin, brown sugar, and red pepper flakes..  Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and simmer until nicely thickened.  Taste and adjust seasoning as required with salt and pepper.  Cool and then pour into a jar. Keep refrigerated.

 photo DSCN9052_zpsu0u6x4os.jpg

Note - this makes a lovely Christmas gift, tied up with a ribbon and presented in a basket with some cheese and crackers.

 


Cirio Chopped Tomatoes . . . authentically Italian. They are so good I could just eat them out of the tin with a spoon, and do from time to time. (Don't judge me!) In a recipe where the tomatoes are going to be one of the stars, you want really good ones, and these are the best!


  photo DSCN9053_zpsarlherqs.jpg

I really hope you will make some of this delicious tomato jam, if not for yourself, then for someone you love.  You won't regret it!  Bon Appetit!
Advertisement

Blog Archive